Today’s top HR professionals are skilled in interpreting data to develop, align and apply HR strategies to optimize organizational outcomes. Learn how to build your strategic toolkit and gain practical skills to convert data and analytics into action plans to drive a high-performing culture and achieve business objectives in your organization. Persons who successfully complete the program including assessment activities will be eligible to receive a co-branded digital badge from McMaster Continuing Education and HRPA.
- Learn how to interpret and apply data to inform and design strategic decision making to optimize organizational outcomes
- Identify insights that will optimize your human capital strategies for enhanced organizational performance
- Taught by HR industry experts who will provide the framework to strengthen your strategic skillset
- Flexible online program
You’ll learn to:
- Review the processes associated with developing your strategic direction; vision, mission, values and strategic goals including your organizational value proposition
- Identify key human resource strategies based on a people-based SWOT analysis, complete a human capital review and develop your employee value proposition
- Integrate the employee value proposition with the organizational value proposition and overall strategic planning process
- Identify HR analytics unique to your environment and how analytics can unlock a focused human capital strategy to deliver your organizational objectives
- Identify barriers and challenges and develop approaches to mitigate and overcome them
- Track, implement and control strategic performance using HR analytics
- Provide a strategic planning framework supported by data, metrics and insights
- Develop a communication and implementation plan to gain approval, achieve alignment and execute objectives
Who should take this program?
- Intermediate HR leaders looking to advance their leadership skills
- Entrepreneurs focused on integrating HR, strategy, analytics and human capital
The online format of the program is hands-on and interactive. It focuses primarily on your organizational situation, case studies, roleplays, exercises, and large and small group discussions using online “breakout rooms”.
The online instruction sessions include group discussions and interactive activities, which are essential to participant learning. To make the most of the online sessions for all learners, participants should expect to dedicate time outside of class to independently complete preparatory assignments. This work includes reading assignments, viewing and discussing materials, case exercises, and roleplays. Independent work should take no more than 60 minutes for each of the first two days of the course, and no more than 60 minutes for each of the last two days.
Meet the facilitators
Ian is a past HR executive from multiple sectors, including automotive, health care products, energy and consumer packaged goods. While his experience has been primarily in human capital, he has also held roles as business unit GM, strategy, continuous improvement, manufacturing, logistics and customer care. A long-time HRPA member and past board member of the local HRPA chapter, Ian currently teaches in multiple forums including the University of Guelph and with the Canadian Professional Management Association. He is also a senior mentor and industry specialist with Innovation Guelph and Accelerator Guelph mentor with the Research Innovation office (University of Guelph). He holds an Industrial Administration degree and an MBA and truly believes employees are the most critical contributor to achieving organizational success.
Originally from New Brunswick, Jeffrey O’Leary (BBA, MBA, CMA, CPA, CM) has worked for over 15 years at Maple Leaf Foods in various Corporate Finance, Sales and Marketing positions throughout the organization. Currently Controller at Karl Storz Medical Devices, Jeff holds undergraduate degrees in Accounting and Economics, an MBA and is a CMA, CPA in Ontario as well as a Chartered Marketer with the Canadian Marketing Association. Jeff has been teaching in post-secondary education for over 12 years and is currently a lecturer at the University of Guelph and McMaster University Continuing Education while being a Moderator and Facilitator in the Ontario CPA program.